What is this whole “salvation” thing?
Matthew 5:17 “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to fulfill them.
- The Law is still in place!!!
- What is the Law?
- The Law begins with The 10 Commandments.
- If the Law has been fulfilled, what use is the Law?
The Law, Jesus & Salvation
Romans 3:19-20 19 Obviously, the law applies to those to whom it was given, for its purpose is to keep people from having excuses and to bring the entire world into judgment before God. 20 For no one can ever be made right in God’s sight by doing what his law commands. For the more we know God’s law, the clearer it becomes that we aren’t obeying it.
- The Law defines sin!
- The 10 Commandments are a measuring stick.
- How do you measure up?
- Can you remember/name any of the Commandments?
- Have you ever violated any of the Commandments?
- Even one violation makes you guilty!
- The Law defines sin and demonstrates that we (all of us) are not “alright”!
Romans 3:21-23 21 But now God has shown us a different way of being right in his sight– not by obeying the law but by the way promised in the Scriptures long ago. 22 We are made right in God’s sight when we trust in Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in this same way, no matter who we are or what we have done. 23 For all have sinned; all fall short of God’s glorious standard.
Re-read Romans 3:23.
- Who does the Bible define as a “sinner?”
- EVERYONE…even me!
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.
- What should you be “paid” for your sin?
- Death Specifically an eternal death (Hell), but that’s a different study
John 3:3 Jesus replied, “I assure you, unless you are born again, you can never see the Kingdom of God.”
- Why did Jesus die?
- Jesus died to begin the Kingdom of God on Earth
- He died so that I wouldn’t have to die for my sins
John 14:6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me
- What is the only way to get to God?
- Through Jesus, God’s Son
Romans 10:9-11 9 For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. 11 As the Scriptures tell us, “Anyone who believes in him will not be disappointed.”
- What is required to be “saved” from the death you deserve for your sin?
- Confess that Jesus is Lord
- Believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead
2 Corinthians 5:15 He died for everyone so that those who receive his new life will no longer live to please themselves. Instead, they will live to please Christ, who died and was raised for them.
- For whom did Jesus die?
- EVERYONE…even me!
- So that those who receive His new life will live to please Him!
Revelation 3:20 “Look! Here I stand at the door and knock. If you hear me calling and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal as friends.
- When can you receive Jesus as your “savior”?
- He’s standing at the door of your heart right now, waiting for you to invite Him in!
- Are you ready?
Ask yourself these questions and be prepared to answer them.
- “Are you a sinner?”
- “Do you want the forgiveness Jesus offers through His sacrifice?
- “Do you believe Jesus died and rose from the dead?
- “Are you ready to call Him your Lord and surrender?
- “Are you ready to invite Him into your life?
If you answered “yes” to all of these questions, this prayer will guide you in inviting Him into your life:
I come to you today to ask for Your forgiveness.
I confess that I am a sinner and need the forgiveness Jesus offered through His death.
I believe He died for me and You raised Him from the dead.
I surrender my life to You, Jesus.
Please come into my heart, save me from the punishment I deserve for my sin, and take charge of my life.
If you prayed this prayer for the first time today, please email us and let us celebrate with you! This is not a decision to keep to yourself. We would love to know of your decision and to rejoice with the angels in heaven over your salvation!